The TowerCares Foundation is proud to announce the winners of the 2020 College Scholarship Program. Five Maryland students each won a one-time scholarship award of $5,000 from the Foundation.
The winners were selected from an impressive pool of over 300 applicants by an independent judging organization. Judging was based upon accomplishments in the areas of academics, leadership, community service, and extracurricular activities.
Meet this year’s winners!
Madison Garrigus of Laurel, MD, who is entering her freshman year at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in Connecticut. Ms. Garrigus plans to study Environmental Science.
Erin Kosloski of Catonsville, MD, a junior at University of Maryland-Baltimore County (UMBC). Ms. Kosloski is studying Cognitive Science.
Andrew Stein of Woodbine, MD, a senior at Cedarville University in Ohio. Mr. Stein is studying Information Technology.
Jessica Walton of Marriottsville, MD, a senior at Pennsylvania State University. Ms. Walton is studying Bio Behavioral Health.
Natasha White, of Adamstown, MD, who is entering her freshman year at the University of Rochester in New York. Ms. White plans to major in Technical & Business Writing.
The focus of the judges was students pursuing careers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM), or in keeping with TowerCares’ mission of supporting the families of those who protect our freedom, children of parents who serve our country as civilians or members of the military.
Since 2018, TowerCares has awarded $75,000 in scholarship awards.
Congratulations to all of our 2020 scholarship winners! We wish you the best in your future endeavors.
The TowerCares mission and who we support
TowerCares’ mission is to support children in need as well as brave and heroic individuals and their families who have sacrificed while protecting our freedom. To date, TowerCares has donated over $850,000 to local charities that support our mission.
In second quarter 2020, TowerCares welcomed four new grantees:
- Arundel House of Hope – Arundel House of Hope provides emergency, transitional and permanent affordable housing for those experiencing homelessness, including Veterans, in Anne Arundel County, MD. The TowerCares grant supports Patriot House, a facility for homeless Veterans.
- Leadership Howard County – Leadership Howard County empowers individuals to strengthen and transform our community. The TowerCares grant provides tuition subsidies to students in need of financial assistance so they can attend Leadership U, a four-month experiential leadership development and community service program for current high school sophomores who either live or attend school in Howard County, MD.
- Neighbor Ride – Neighbor Ride enhances the health and quality of life for seniors living in Howard County, MD, by providing affordable, passenger-focused transportation services through a reliable, volunteer-based system. The TowerCares grant helps fund the Driving Heroes program, which provides subsidized transportation for local low-income Veterans, ages 60 and over. Many of the program’s volunteer drivers are also Veterans.
- Operation Homefront – The mission of Operation Homefront is to build strong, stable and secure military families so they can thrive in the communities that they have worked so hard to protect. The TowerCares grant supports Operation Homefront Village, a transitional housing program in Gaithersburg, MD. The program provides rent-free apartments to wounded, ill and injured active duty and Veterans and their families as they transition from the military.
How to support TowerCares
TowerCares is making a real difference in our community. But the work we do would not be possible without the continued support and generosity of our donors. TowerCares Foundation is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization and all donations are tax-deductible.
There are three easy and convenient ways to donate to the TowerCares Foundation:
- Donate online or in a branch – You can make a donation to TowerCares online at our secure payment site or in a Tower Federal Credit Union branch.
- Combined Federal Campaign – TowerCares is a participating charity in the 2020 Combined Federal Campaign (CFC). Towercares’ CFC number is 23584. Through the CFC, federal employees, contractors and retirees can pledge to support their favorite charities. For campaign dates and details, speak to your CFC keyworker.
- Maryland Charity Campaign – TowerCares is also a participating charity in the Maryland Charity Campaign (MCC). TowerCares’ MCC number is 47-4164006. Similar to the CFC, state of Maryland employees can set up automatic payroll deductions through the MCC to support the charity of their choice. For details, visit mcc.maryland.gov.
Resources: TowerCares Foundation, Combined Federal Campaign, Maryland Charity Campaign